Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hurricane Katrina Aftermath

I have been watching the recent and ongoing coverage of the hurricane over the weekend. I can hardly believe the devastation that has been left in her wake. The images are heart-breaking. Knowing that thousands of people have been killed or have lost everything they have in this world is just hard to fathom. Seeing the devastation in Mobile, Alabama makes my heart ache mainly since that is where my family originated. Also seeing the images of catastrophe in New Orleans, Biloxi, and Gulf Port is just plain unbelievable. I wish more people where in a position to have evacuated before the storm raged. Unfortunately, many were not able and chose to stay behind and ride out the storm....a deadly decision. In the aftermath, once the waters begain to rise in the city of New Orleans, I sat horrified to see the hundreds and hundreds of people make their way to the Superdome for shelter, only to find utter chaos. Many homes have been reduced to piles of rubble, and several towns have been virtually wiped of the face of the earth. People in dire situations will do what they need to do in order to survive, and the basic instinct of survival has already kicked in for many people who have lost everything. As I sit here warm, dry, and comfortable in my home, my eyes fill with tears and my heart aches for those who have lost loved ones, their shelter, their livlihood. I also get enraged when I witness the looting of useless items in places where no one has electricity, water, functioning bathrooms, or food and water. What are people thinking??? I can certainly understand taking what is necessary for survival, but some of my people have gone too far and make an awful situation even uglier. I will step up and send monetary aid to help those who need it, and continue to offer my sincere prayers for healing, strength, and perseverence. For those who know the Lord, continue to have faith. For those who don't, I invite you to get to know Him. With Him, all things are possible.

No comments: